This month, we’ll discuss the book while snacking on pudding and fruit (Smoo breakfast!) Then we’ll make and test things that fly (paper airplanes, gliders, etc.)
Only one family came! They were troopers, though, and we did our best. Straw gliders are like the most fun thing ever.
Possible questions for discussion:
- If you got a secret note like Akiko’s, would you get on the spaceship? Why or why not?
- Mr. Beeba puts a lot of faith in book learning. Have you ever had a time when you tried to do something you’d only read about in a book? What happened?
- Akiko surprises herself by standing up to the Jaggasaur. Tell about a time when you did something you didn’t think you could do. How did it work out?
- Akiko gets 4 companions to help her rescue the kidnapped prince. If you could choose 4 companions for a dangerous mission, who would you pick?
- Akiko enjoys the food on the Planet Smoo, even though she doesn’t recognize any of it. What’s the most unusual food you’ve ever tasted? Did you like it?
- Do you think you could be replaced by a robot without anyone noticing? Why or why not? What would be most likely to give the robot away?
- If you could keep just one of Akiko’s companions, which one would you choose? If you had to give up just one, which one would you give up? Why?