Snack on Smarties, Sour Punch Straws and Pringles while going over the discussion questions. Then color on hot rocks with crayons. (I also considered other rock related crafts tying into the dad-as-geologist theme: paint egg cartons to make a rock collecting box, sand painting or pebble mosaics, games using pebbles like egg carton Mancala, and rock necklaces.)
Next month – Can You Survive the Titanic? An Interactive Survival Adventure, by Allison Lassieur
- Why do you think EllRay didn’t tell anyone what was going on with Jared? Should he have told someone? Why or why not?
- Have you ever witnessed someone being mean to a friend? What did you do? What, if anything, do you wish you had done differently?
- Do you think that bringing Jared to Disneyland was a good idea? Why or why not? What do you think EllRay and Jared’s relationship looks like a week after the story ends?
- EllRay feels like his dad is always disappointed in him. What do you think EllRay and/or his dad could do differently to strengthen their relationship?
- Alfie says that there must be a boy boss and a girl boss in every class. Do you agree? Why or why not? What makes someone “the boss”?
- What is the best and worst thing that happened to you today?
- EllRay feels like he stands out because he’s the smallest kid in his class and there aren’t a lot of black kids in his school. Have you ever been in a situation where you stood out? How did that feel?